Monday, December 20, 2010

Cranberry Cake

This month's Cake Slice Baker Cake of the Month was a Cranberry Cake and it was delicious! I have felt like a new woman this month because for all of November I was battling some health issues that made life not very enjoyable. I am so, so, so glad and grateful to be feeling like myself again!

I made this cake one evening after work and it was a really fun experience. I still don't have a mixer in Oregon, so I mixed this up all by hand, with a whisk. I'm not sure if that effected the texture of my cake, but it turned out tasting great nonetheless. The recipe called for a 10-inch springform pan, but I went with a shallow, smaller, disposable, rectangular pan, which made my cake thinner and therefore I believe the cranberries were more dense. I happen to really enjoy tart things, but if you are not a fan of tartness, this cake might be too much for you. The actual cake part was very rich and dense and sweet, but the cranberries (I used fresh) were a delightful little punch of  sour goodness.

The only thing I could see do differently for this cake would be add some citrus zest, probably orange. I always think desserts with berries tastes better with citrus. This cake had a really good vanilla flavor and the 3 eggs added a deep richness, but I just think it could have been livened up with some orange. I thought about it when I was mixing this cake up, but I wanted to see what it would taste like if I just followed the recipe. However, I am learning to trust my instincts when it comes to flavors. Usually if I think a little cinnamon or citrus zest would improve the taste, I end up being correct. You can't eat as many sweets as I do and not learn a thing or two about what tastes good together. :)

Cranberry Cake
Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman


For the Streusel:
1 cup sliced almonds
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (I used salted butter)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar


For the Cake:
2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1½ sticks butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 bag (12 ounces) fresh cranberries (or I've heard you can use frozen)


Heat the oven to 300 degrees. Grease a 10-inch round springform pan (or pan of your choice).


Combine the melted butter, almonds and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Work the mixture between your fingers to form large crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use. I could have stopped right here. This tasted so good.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Combine the eggs and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium high speed until the mixture is lightened and increased in volume, about 5 minutes.


With the mixer on low speed, add the butter in a slow stream. Turn the mixer to medium speed and beat for another 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.


Gently but thoroughly fold in the flour mixture, half a cup at a time. Then stir in the cranberries.
Scrape the butter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the streusel over the batter. Bake the cake until it is golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Release the sides of the pan and use a large spatula to slide the cake from the pan bottom onto the wire rack (I just let me cool in the pan and never took it out of the pan). Cool completely before cutting into wedges and serving.


Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.

5 comments:

  1. You are right orange would be great with it.

    We really enjoyed this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking Good!

    The tartness of the cake went very well with vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice variation using the larger baking tin! I used a SMALLER tin than the recommended 10inch and I had too much streusel (didn't really think that one through!) Yours looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you are feeling better. I loved this cake too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orange zest? yes! I also think other berries would be just as good.

    I like that you baked yours in a larger more shallow pan. It's almost like a coffee cake, but would feed a lot more people in that size pan.

    ReplyDelete