Friday, January 21, 2011

S'More Cake!

OK, that's not the official name of this Cake Slice Bakers Cake of the Month Cake; it's really something like: Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Snacking Cake. Whatever. It's S'More Cake! Although...it's not all the s'more-ish to me. I love s'mores and this was fairly good, but I think it could have been better. Or maybe my expectations were too high.

Also, these pictures are the ugliest pictures of food you'll ever see because:
a) I live in Portland, Oregon and rarely see the sun
b) Even if the sun did exist in Portland, when I leave for work and when I come home from work, it is dark

Those are my excuses.

Ever since I moved to Portland I've had this weird thing about my own version of baking more "naturally". I've been using as few appliances as possible, mostly because I don't have them and I don't want to spend money on them. This cake broke me though. In the midst of crumbling graham crackers by hand and creaming butter with sugar until it was "fluffy" with a whisk I decided it was time to buy a cheap hand mixer at least. And I won't lie, some of my graham crackers crumbs were not "fine". I thought about buying a box of graham cracker crumbs, but I couldn't really think of many other times I would use them and wouldn't want them to go to waste so I bought real graham crackers because I know I'll eat those before I'll use crumbs.

So, maybe it was because my graham cracker crumbs weren't the right texture, but I thought this cake had a weird consistency - kind of dry and almost cookie-ish. I used mini chocolate chips because I already had them. I thought the icing was very tasty, but didn't really taste like marshmallows, which was disappointing. I kind of think a 7 Minute Frosting would have gone better on this cake as it always seems marshmallow-y to me. I decorated my cake with lefotover graham cracker crumbs and mini chocolate chips. I thought it turnf out very pretty.

You know what I liked better than this cake? Dipping graham crackers in marshmallow fluff! SO GOOD! And much easier :)
Graham Cracker-Chocolate Chip Snacking Cake
Cake Keeper Cakes
For the Cake:
8 whole graham crackers, finely (or not so finely, use a food processor if you have one) ground (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (I think I may have used salted butter for this...I recall checking the recipe several times and wondering why it said unsalted for the icing and salted for the cake...maybe I read it wrong...repeatedly...?)
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

For the Icing:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup marshmallow fluff (sometimes it's called creme...?)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan  (I used round) and dust it with flour, knocking out any extra.

Combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.

Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Or do this by hand and curse yourself halfway through.

With the mixer on low speed, add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat until smooth. With the mixer on low speed, add 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 of the milk, stirring until combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk, ending with the flour. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes (mine was done in about 29, almost too done). Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up on a rack to cool completely.

without icing
For the icing: Place the butter in a medium mixing bowl and beat until creamy. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Stir in the vanilla and the marshmallow fluff and beat until smooth.

Cut the cake into squares/slices and serve each one with a dollop of frosting on top. However, I iced just the top of my cake and decorated it with the graham cracker crumbs and chocolate chips.

9 comments:

  1. one can never go wrong with dipping graham crackers in fluff! Your cake does look great on that plate too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good with the crumbs round the edges, but I agree - the cake itself didn't have a huge amount going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your decoration!

    I actually liked this cake - I wonder if it was the fact that I used digestive biscuits or that I used half the frosting - or perhaps I just have weird taste!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you added some crumbs and chocolate chips to the top! This too was not what I expected although it was still good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks delicious and full of meltty choc chips

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think your expectations were too high. If they are then I guess mine are too :-)

    I think it's only natural to expect a s'more taste out of this cake and it just wasn't so. sadly.

    I like that you baked it in a round pan- the decoration is pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey - your photos are LOVELY! I too have a confession - I much more enjoyed leftover melted marshmallows, chocolate squares and grahams mixed together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your photos are just fine. I am wondering what my excuse is since I get an excess of sunshine.... I wasn't in love with this cake. The cake part was OK, but I found the frosting too much. I guess I am not a fan of s'mores so this isn't a big surprise.

    ReplyDelete